Friday, February 21, 2014

So where can I get all this "real food" you always talk about?



When you think of where to get healthy food, usually Whole Foods or another local health food type of store comes to mind, There are many more resources than what you typically think of though. Some of these are local and some are available nation wide or regionally. Here are some great sources for you to find the things you are looking for! I'm sure I'm leaving some great ones out so if you have links to places you use feel free to share them in the comments and I will add them to the post.


Bountiful Baskets- Bountiful Baskets is a program I became familiar with when I lived in Utah. Since that time they have expanded across a large part of western and central United States. Check out their website to see if there are locations near you. It is a program run by volunteers so if you don't see a location close to you, email them and ask them how you can get one started!


Azure Standard- Azure standard works through groups of people. There is a $50 minimum order and you can email the company to find out if they have a pick up site near you and the contact information to join the group. They have a big selection of natural products in bulk so that you can stock up.

Amazon- Amazon is my go to for many many things and I am slightly obsessed. They have a subscribe and save for many regular household items and healthy products. I order things like dried herbs, coconut oil and steel cut oats in bulk and with subscribe and save I get up to a 20% discount delivered to my door with free shipping. Subscribe and save orders can be modified each month to continue a shipment of something or skip a shipment if necessary.

Craigslist- Craigslist has more than just used furniture and electronics. I actually found the lady that I now get my eggs from on there and I have been picking up from her for close to a year. I have also seen ads for grass fed meats, goats milk and other locally grown food. Availability is going to vary by your location, but if you are in the Oklahoma City metro, I can tell you I see things all the time.

Farmers Markets- Farmers markets are popping up everywhere. Typically you can find offerings during the growing season from local producers. Oklahoma city regularly has a farmers market on Saturdays at OSU-OKC and there are many others available. 

Oklahoma Cooperative- I am a big fan of the Co-op and it has grown by leaps and bounds since I discovered it in 2009. It has been so successful, that the way it is set up is actually a model for many co-ops popping up across the United States. Basically, you pay a one time fee of $50 which allows you to buy or sell products. You place your order at the first of the month and one day a month orders are brought to the location you select nearest you to be picked up. It is basically a one stop shop for you to pick up things from producers all across Oklahoma. There is even delivery to your home for some select locations and for an extra fee. The Co-op is completely run by volunteers so the extra fees for delivery and such go to fund coolers and other equipment needed to get your food to you.

CSAs- CSAs are another popular option becoming available to more areas. With a CSA you pay upfront so that the farmer has the resources to get seed and cultivate crops. Once growing season has begun, you get  to pick up an order each week with veggies or other goodies that the farmer is producing. CSA offerings vary in products and price, but you usually get a much better deal than you would pay at the local grocery store and not only that, you are also supporting your local economy . If you are a local Oklahoman, you can also check out my sorority sister, Samantha Lamb's farm and CSA here: The Farm and Fiddle


Mountain Rose Herbs- I love Mountain Rose Herbs. They are a great source for dried herbs, teas, oils and spices. I use their products a lot to make natural skincare products and they usually have a great price on quality coconut oil in bulk. They have bulk discount prices for anyone who orders a certain amount. All of their products are grown in an ethical manner and most of the time they are organic. If you are looking for an item that is hard to find, this is the place for you.

Grow it yourself- Nothing is going to be fresher , more economical or more natural than food you grow in your own garden. These days you can easily find quality seeds online and shop from your couch. I get giddy every year when I get Baker Creek's heirloom seed catalog and I've also had success ordering seed off of Amazon. You can check out Baker Creek here: Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

I hope this gets the wheels turning in your mind of places you can use to get quality natural food. If you have a great source please let me know. I'm always looking for new places to check out!

No comments:

Post a Comment