Saturday, February 8, 2014

My Story

Hi Everyone!

I'm Jennifer and I am on a journey to be in the best shape of my life. I have struggled with my weight since a very young age.Some traumatic events around the age of 6 to 7 put this into motion, though it took until I became an adult to realize this was the point in time the weight gain began to happen. Though it was subconscious at the time, food became my way to deal with stress, trauma or anything generally negative that happened in my life. I always had friends, and though I'm sure it was obvious to them that I was a bigger girl, I never felt the stigma or bullying that many overweight children go through. I played sports, had sleepovers, made good grades and for the most part, lived like any normal kid. It never occurred to me that it was important to eat in a better way even though my mom tried to make that happen. I was a picky eater (and still am to this day) Textures of food would bother me and I wasn't really inclined to try new things. I spent a lot of time with my Grandmother, because my mom worked constantly and she indulged me in the things I wanted to eat which didn't help the situation at all. When I got to Jr high is when I started to become self conscious about the way I looked. I wanted to wear the cute clothes my friends wore and I wanted boyfriends like my friends had. Though people liked me, I didn't have boys knocking down my door to date me and it (like many teen aged girls) bothered me. I began to become more aware of what I ate. I was able to get a hold of over the counter diet pills like Dexitrim and the like. The summer before I went to High School, I told myself I would be different. Pondimin had just came out, and my Dr. prescribed it for me.This was just the beginning of my attempt at a quick fix for my weight problem. I took the pills and exercised all the time. We had a Nordic Track and my mom had TONS of workout videos that I would do with her or even by myself sometimes. I cut out bread most of the time and literally lived off of yogurt many days and stayed under 1200 calories (oh what I did to my metabolism with that!)  I definitely lost the weight. By the time I was a freshman in high school, I was at a weight I was fairly satisfied with. I wasn't a thin stick, but I felt more confident. (look for part 2 later this week!)

No comments:

Post a Comment