Tuesday, February 25, 2014

New (old?!) beginnings

Yesterday was my first day in the real world in a LONG time. Andrew went back to work. I can't begin to explain all the emotions that have come along with that over the past week since we found out his former employer would hire him back on. Obviously, one emotion is excitement. We can finally get back on the financial track we need to be on to reach some goals we've had. Other emotions come as well though; fear, anxiety; wondering if the last couple of years have been in vain and how in the world am I going to stay on track with my fitness journey because he makes SO much of that happen?

You see, 2 1/2 years ago, we made a mutual decision as a family for Andrew to go back to school. He had been in the restaurant industry for his entire life and it wasn't working that well for our family. If you or someone you know has ever managed a restaurant, you know what I'm talking about. He was literally never home and when he was, he was usually sleeping. The hours never stay the same and usually there is more time spent than the 50 plus hours you are already scheduled to work. It was a tough choice, because the company he was working for is a great company. If you are in the restaurant industry, it's the company you WANT to work for, at least here in Oklahoma. He was also really great at managing. They had big plans for him and a promotion in the near future. I don't even need to mention the financial aspect. A one income family is extremely hard to manage these days, even with the job that I have.

Despite the good things, we jumped off the cliff. It was tough but we were making it work at first. Andrew made awesome grades and really enjoyed learning. It was nice having him home every night and taking care of things around here. He did do part time work for a lot of the time. It wasn't much, but it helped us stay afloat.
It was around this time I started working on becoming healthier. I had him right there to make meals for me and pack lunches; watch the kids so I could get my workout in. He made is very easy not to fail.
Then 2013 seemed to be the year where the bottom fell out. The back problems he had prior to leaving his career were just magnified by the more physical demands of his part time work. Things didn't work out and he lost his job. I was furloughed for several days over a two month span and then the government completely shut down for nearly three weeks leaving me and thousands of others waiting for their paychecks. It was enough to completely throw the delicate balance of our finances completely off course. Then, his father had a very unexpected stroke and he spent day after day at the hospital and that completely screwed up all his classes.
He had to go back to work and figure out how to do school part time. That much we knew, but we were bound and determined for it to be ANYTHING else besides a restaurant. He searched online diligently, went on numerous interviews, yet nothing worked out. The holidays came and we expected opportunities to be slim. Then the holidays went. Still nothing.
In the middle of an argument we were having, Andrew sent the text to the man who would be the decision maker in whether he would go back to the restaurant. I was upset and relieved at the same time. There was no going back now. You can't say you want your job back and then say just kidding.

They hired him back and I became a basket case the closer his first day got. I shutdown for about two days straight. How was I going to manage everything while he was at work at night? What about all the activities the kids have? You mean I have to workout while my kids are running around jumping on me? I have to pack my own lunch?  Yes, I panicked and yes I'm spoiled. Then came the first day (yesterday) and....I survived. I had to eat Panera for lunch, but I made it through the rush home to activities, dinner and even my workout. The only thing I didn't get done was this blog post. So what is the bottom line?

1.) I'm going to have to meal plan. For real this time

2.) I am going to have to do superman position while my three year old sits on my back because that's what kids do when you are trying to get stuff accomplished.

3.) I'm going to have to do chores again. Or hire someone to do it for me. We'll see.

Bottom line, it's a change but we will survive and there will be a lot of positive things that come from this, just as there were positive things to him being home. I don't think it was a mistake for us to take a leap of faith though. Trying something new taught us a lot about each other and allowed our kids to develop a relationship with their dad that they didn't have previously. I'm sure there will be tons of craziness along the way, but I believe we're ready for it. Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment