Friday, April 4, 2014

Sometimes your kids will surprise you


I have two of the pickiest eaters that live in my home (not sure where that comes from....ahem). I am certainly not a food nazi when it comes to my boys, but I do try to keep healthier versions of kid food in our house to make sure they are getting some good stuff down the hatch. However, my unwillingness to battle with them sometimes means that they eat more "bad stuff" then I would prefer. Lately, it feels like it's gotten out of hand. We spent almost every night last week running though a drive thru for dinner number 2 because Bryce played in a tournament and all his games were late. 

I know there aren't many conclusive studies on food and behavior. nutrition, compared to other scientific areas is relatively new. Scientists are still learning about how the foods we eat affect us and what types of foods are the most beneficial. This is why one year you will hear that a new study has come out saying XYZ is great for your health and then the next year some other study says it's bad. My mommy observations, however, tell me that there is indeed a link. When my boys eat like crap, they are wired, grumpy and difficult. When their bodies get what they need, it's much easier on us as parents.

This weekend, I decided to do a little experiment. We didn't buy any snacks or sodas. When the kids came home they got a pint sized portion of Shakeology and then their dinner. They had berries and Greek yogurt for dessert. We have tried this in the past, but there have always been things already in the house that they try to negotiate for when I give them something better. Can I just say keeping it out of the house works? Every night they have both begged me for a shake and to try a new recipe (we got strawberry in for the first time this week) and they haven't once asked me for candy. They polished off an entire (big) tub of yogurt and have plowed through some strawberries we got last weekend in our Bountiful Basket. They aren't exactly begging me for celery with peanut butter or carrot sticks yet, but it's a start. They have been so much more agreeable this week it isn't funny. They actually ask for their own sparkling waters (with lemon and stevia extract) and think it's better than sprite. Even my littlest monster who is the pickiest of all has been on board.

We're going to keep it up. That doesn't mean that they will never have soda or less than stellar snacks again, but at least if it isn't at home, their exposure is limited and then they will get used to those things being "treats" rather than the norm. Hang in there parents of picky eaters. You can make progress! 





No comments:

Post a Comment